Saturday 16 March 2013

Footprints in my mind


I really can't believe that it was four years ago when I took this photo one morning in Monaco as the sun shone over the Mediterranean Sea.  Not exactly sunrise, but close. 

Shortly afterwards I went for a walk along the sea front and came across the Champions Promenade.  Footprints of the stars, I supposed, judging by the little logo on the right.



I didn't know what it was at first because I had obviously approached from the wrong direction.  What I first saw were footprints, named footprints.


In fact, there were rows of footprints, all named but these were the only ones which had a name I recognised.  George Best.  A fallen star, if ever there was one.  So sad.

Updated after YTSL's question:  The Champions' Promenade is the place where the winners of the Golden Foot Award have their footprints displayed.  Each year ten footballers (soccer players) are nominated for their athletic achievements and personality and the winner is chosen by an online poll.  The player must be still active and over 29 years.

Later that same day there was a beautiful sunset with a moon but no stars.


The evening sun makes Cap Martin glow in the remains of the light.

"The day is done, and the darkness,
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward,
From an eagle in his flight"
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

A two-in-one post for the Photo Hunts. 


Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. Champions in Monaco - do they mean champion gamblers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not gamblers, no. I had to do a bit of investigation to find out but it's apparently champion footballers - one a year. I've updated the post now.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sunset ! and footprints too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sunrise over Monaco, wish I could watch that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. something of this sort was started here in the metro a few years back but it was done with hand prints of actresses and actors. i don't like it though as it is a copycat of something done in another country. :(

    ReplyDelete

Forethoughts, afterthoughts, any thoughts. Tell me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin